LEVERAGING AI FOR INTERVIEW PREPARATION

 

OnLabor. (2024, January 26)

LEVERAGING AI FOR INTERVIEW PREPARATION

The goal of my innovative experience was to introduce the concept of Artificial Intelligence (AI) to my adult learners and teach them how to leverage AI in preparing for job interviews. The two technologies that I envisioned using are the job database platform INDEED and chatbot ChatGPT. My students will use INDEED to identify realistic job opportunities e.g. jobs with responsibilities that are a good fit and having a location that is an easy commute. Students would then cut and paste a job description of interest into ChatGPT and ask the chatbot to create a list of likely questions that one would experience during an interview for said job opening. The students would then craft a response to each potential interview question and ask ChatGBT if their proposed responses are appropriate. This iterative interaction will enable them to get into the right mindset and will simulate a mock interview session.

You can find more about my full lesson plan.

Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is a teaching framework that aims to make learning accessible for all students. It's often used in inclusive classrooms to meet the needs of students with learning disabilities, but can be beneficial for all types of students. UDL is based on neuroscience and evidence-based educational practices, and it also takes advantage of digital technology. (Posey, A. 2022) The UDL feedback that I received from Kirsten Campbell was very helpful. It really helped me to focus on the finite steps required to get my students from Point A (commencing a job search) to Point C (participating in a real-life job interview). Especially how I was going to make sure that none of my students were left behind and ways that I could check their progress. One of the best ways to use UDL in the classroom is to encourage student participation. This means allowing students to share their ideas and providing them with immediate feedback. Having group discussions and running through a group case study provides a forum for my students to discuss the job search process and enables each student to contribute ideas to the group.  

Kirsten’s suggestions for examples of good “Prompt” queries or Prompt templates for ChatGPT was especially helpful. This guarantees that all students are properly constructing their Prompts and will provide another opportunity for group discussion. Kirsten’s comments regarding the documented observation process and the student self-evaluation process was also very helpful. It helped me to think through what I’m actually seeking from my students and what aspects I want them to focus on for their self evaluations.


I performed a test run of my proposed Innovative Learning Plan which can be viewed via ChatGPT. (OpenAI. 2023)


I searched on INDEED for Dishwasher positions within South Lyon, MI and decided to pursue a position with the Witch's Hat Brewing Company. (Job Search, 2024) I copied the full job description and pasted it into ChatGPT requesting the chatbot to prepare a list of the most likely interview questions based upon the job description. ChatGPT did an excellent job with this task. I selected a specific question “What would you do if the dishwashing machine broke down during your shift?” and subsequently provided an answer for the chatbot to review. ChatGPT reviewed my answer and provided very helpful feedback on additional points to add and why they were important. I’m very excited and anxious to use this approach with my students during the coming school year as I truly believe this will make a significant impact on their job search endeavors.


References:

Job Search 2024. | Indeed, www.indeed.com/. 

Posey, A. (2022). Universal design for learning (UDL): A teacher’s guide. Understood. https://www.understood.org/en/articles/understanding-universal-design-for-learning

OnLabor. (2024, January 26). Perils and Promises of AI at Work: A Q&A with Michelle Miller. https://onlabor.org/perils-and-promises-of-ai-at-work-a-qa-with-michelle-miller/

OpenAI. (2023). ChatGPT (Mar 14 version) [Large language model]. https://chat.openai.com/cha



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assessment

Creative Commons

My Best Assessment